Beryllium Copper (BeCu) is a pliable metal alloy with high electrical conductivity. It contains 0.4% to 3% Beryllium and alloyed with Copper to increase its physical strength. Beryllium Copper chemical etching is ideal for applications in electrical and electronic industries, such as contact and spring contact applications.
Beryllium Copper is one of the easier metals to photo-chemically machine or etch, though a bit more challenging than pure Copper. Its thermal conductivity is not quite as effective as Copper, placing it between Aluminum and Steel.
Fotofab's etching process produces designs that can withstand harsh indoor and outdoor environments. The process uses a strong caustic chemical to cut into unprotected parts of a metal surface to create a design or image formed to your project's specifications.
Fotofab proudly services the US and International customers.
Characteristics of Beryllium Copper
- Excellent electrical conductivity
- Excellent metalworking, forming, and machining properties
- Easily formed, stamped, bent, and chemically etched
- High strength with non-magnetic and non-sparking qualities
- Ductile, weldable, and machinable
Applications of Etched Beryllium Copper
Beryllium Copper chemical etching is a popular process for electrical components used in electrical circuit paths and contact points within an electrical product, such as a connector or as a transitional device between circuit boards. Examples include:
- Electrical contacts, pins, connectors, and terminals
- Formed metal enclosures for miniature or hybrid electronic circuits
- EMI/RFI shielding on printed circuit boards
- Lead frames
- Inserts for injection molding
- Fuse links and bus bars
- Board-level EMI/RFI shields
- Shielded enclosures with snap-on lids
- Beryllium Copper is the highest strength of any Copper-based alloy and becomes stronger by increasing the percentage of Beryllium or processing
- Accepts soldering without special preparation or materials
- Also known as Copper Beryllium, Beryllium Bronze, or Spring Copper
- Like pure Copper, it is resistant to non-oxidizing acids like hydrochloric acid and carbonic acid, to plastic decomposition products, to abrasive wear, and to galling